Wednesday, October 16, 2013

King George, What Was His Problem?-Information book






King George, What was his problem?  The Whole Hilarious Story of the American Revolution was a real find for me.  The author, Steve Sheinkin,  is a former textbook writer.  You must read his “confessions” note at the very beginning.  He always regretted the fact that charts and graphs had to replace some of the more interesting or entertaining bits of history.  He vowed to someday put these into his own book.  Now he has done it!  This is the only one that I have read but I am positive that I will read the other two I saw on the back cover.  He sets up the book in conversational, short segments that flow into each other so that no facts are lost but you also don’t feel encumbered by them.  You find yourself chuckling or remarking, “What?  Really?”  For example, one night John Adams and Ben Franklin had to share a bed when they were traveling on Congress business.  Adams wanted the window closed; Franklin wanted it open.  “Open the window and come to bed and I will convince you.  I believe you are not acquainted with my theory of colds.”  Adams recalled “I was so much amused that I soon fell asleep and left him and his philosophy together.“ (Sheinkin, 2012, 77)
At the end, you find “What ever happened to…..” a list of the “main characters” and their lives following the revolution.  Such a brilliant idea to include this!  There is also an extensive list of source notes. 
Of course, as you can see from what I have already written, I just loved this book and I know that other teachers would be thrilled with it also.  What a great way to gain history lovers and inspire curiosity.  English teachers would also appreciate his writing style and I am sure that many student projects could use his work as a jumping off point.
I will be sure to check these out in the near future….
Two Miserable Presidents, The Amazing, Terrible, and Totally True Story of
 the Civil War
and
Which Way to the Wild West?

Please keep writing Mr. Sheinkin.  There is so much more to cover….

No comments:

Post a Comment